Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Speak the truth, but not to punish

"Speak the truth, but not to punish"   I first read these words two days ago here. They were said by Jim Hoggan, quoting the Zen Buddhist monk Thích Nhất Hạnh.

These words have been a liberation.  After meditating about them, I saw that climate denial is a disease of thought, speech and society.  Being angry or upset about denialism is like being angry about any other disease.  It's useless and counter productive.

This anger that I harbored caused me huge suffering.  I think that suffering is largely gone now.

I can now contemplate the Limits to Growth, and climate change with much less horror than before.  As my brother says, releasing the attachment to living even one more minute is the end of suffering.

And I now have a new voice.  Cheerful, happy, much less judgmental even when confronting the end of all we love, and even confronting anti-social behavior.  It's a new me.



No comments:

Post a Comment