Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tracking down a pylint bug with a new debugger

The latest version of pylint (0.19.0, with astng 0.19.3, common 0.46.0) produces an unbounded recursion on all of Leo's files.

Pylint is complex code, and several hours of tracing with pdb got me no closer to understanding what was going on. At last I had a better idea: to create a debugger that would warn me when the stack got too big. It is a subclass of pdb, but it overrides two methods in bdb.py.

The original version of this blog listed the code, and the traceback, but the listings got garbled. You can now see them both in the bug report page at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pylint/+bug/456870

I still don't understand the code, but now I know where the unbounded recursion is.

Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment